Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Praying for Authors

 When I was younger, I remember looking up to the authors that I knew of. It really didn't matter what genre they wrote, they were impressive.

Then, I became an author. I began talking with others authors. And I realized just how... well, human... authors are. Take any author, and you'll find that they live a similar life to you. Very few authors "just sit and write." They may be wives, mothers, husbands, fathers, brothers, sisters, or single. Most of them have other jobs or ministries, they all have relationship issues (good and bad), daily struggles, heartache, joys, and delights. It's just that they add to this, by also being an author.

The more I dove into the writing field, the more I realized how much I appreciate people praying for me as an author. Authors have a huge responsibility. When we write, we are shaping others' ideas -- for good or for bad. If we are a Christian author, then we are handling God's Word -- and must portray it in unadulterated truth. And, like I indicated earlier, we have people who look up to us. Complete strangers will contact us, not only to let us know they appreciate our work (or find fault with it -- let's be honest ;) ), they will write us to ask for advice and prayers.

Do you think authors needs wisdom? You bet!

Considering all of the above, I started a prayer list for authors. Many of these authors, I personally know. Some of them, I don't know, yet admire. Whether "big or small" (e.g. sellers of 1,000,000 copies or 10), authors need prayers. Temptations are real. Struggles are real. Discouragement is real. And the opportunity to be a strong light for Jesus is real. The best gift you can give to an author is your dedicated prayers.

Here is a sample of my prayer list for authors:


What would you add to that prayer list? How do authors need prayers?

4 comments:

A.M. Heath said...

I love this! Thank you, Amanda.
I like how you focused on the author's spiritual needs in your prayers. I tend to focus on their mental or physical needs. I often find myself praying for discernment or direction, for a blessing on their time and efforts, and the strength to do the task God has given them.

WriteBonnieRose said...

Courage. When we stop and think about what we've been charged by God to do, it's overwhelming.

Phoebe Knapp said...

Endurance. It is hard not to give up when your writing looks like a total mess!!

Amanda Tero said...

@ A.M. Heath - very true to keep their mental and physical needs in prayer as well! Very good points!

@ Bonnie - YES! That is very, very true!

@ Phoebe - another good point! I can identify with all of these, as an author, and would definitely appreciate people praying for me in these points as well!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...