Friday, January 19, 2018

Until We Find Home | First Line Friday, Review


When I saw a book by Cathy Gohlke come up for review, I grabbed it! I really liked how she incorporated history in her book, Promise me This. I liked this book even better! If you like WWII, this is another book to add to your shelves!


First line:
Lightning crackled, splitting the night sky over Paris, illuminating letters painted on the bookstore window across the street: La Maison des Amis des Livres.



Share a first line from a book you're currently reading (or the book that's closest to you!!

What is your favorite WWII book? 
 Connecting with Hoarding Books for First Line Friday! Hop over and connect with your first line!





My Review
Refugee children in WWII and the acceptance that they faced was truly heart-felt in this story. Not only did the children have obstacles to face, but their guardian had her own challenges. I enjoyed all of the characters in this book—though I’d have to say the doctor was likely my favorite.


Having C.S. Lewis and Beatrix Potter featured in this book was a charming element. Me being a writer, I definitely loved all of the writerly threads portrayed.

There was relatively little romance in this book. Claire had hopes of romance from page one, but the way everything progressed with her romantic life was not ultra emotional and roller-coaster. I enjoyed the romance aspect of this.

The spiritual thread was definitely there. There were more quotes from Christian authors of the time than the Bible, and if I read it correctly, it appeared that one of the characters was saved when she was dreaming. That, to me, was a little odd, as I don’t see examples of that in the Bible. 

In short, I enjoyed this book more than the other Cathy Gohlke book that I’d read.

*I received this book from Tyndale Publicity Team and happily provided my honest review*

About the Book
For American Claire Stewart, joining the French Resistance sounded as romantic as the storylines she hopes will one day grace the novels she wants to write. But when she finds herself stranded on English shores, with five French Jewish children she smuggled across the channel before Nazis stormed Paris, reality feels more akin to fear.

With nowhere to go, Claire throws herself on the mercy of an estranged aunt, begging Lady Miranda Langford to take the children into her magnificent estate. Heavily weighted with grief of her own, Miranda reluctantly agrees . . . if Claire will stay to help. Though desperate to return to France and the man she loves, Claire has few options. But her tumultuous upbringing—spent in the refuge of novels with fictional friends—has ill-prepared her for the daily dramas of raising children, or for the way David Campbell, a fellow American boarder, challenges her notions of love. Nor could she foresee how the tentacles of war will invade their quiet haven, threatening all who have come to call Bluebell Wood home and risking the only family she’s ever known.

Set in England’s lush and storied Lake District in the early days of World War II, and featuring cameos from beloved literary icons Beatrix Potter and C. S. Lewis, Until We Find Home is an unforgettable portrait of life on the British home front, challenging us to remember that bravery and family come in many forms.

Extras
  • Read a Q&A with the author here! What inspired her to write this book? Why did she choose this location?
  • Find this book on Amazon
  • Add to your Goodreads "to read" list
  • Visit Cathy's website



4 comments:

SusanLovesBooks said...

Happy Friday!

Today, my First Line Friday comes from the next book on my TBR mountain, Coming Home to Island House by Erica James…..

There she is, the scarlet woman herself.’
‘She’s back then.’
‘Back to flaunt herself right under our noses. She’s no shame, that one.’
‘No shame at all.’

Have a great weekend!

Paula Shreckhise said...

My first paragraph is from Melody of the Soul from Liz Tolsma:

Anna Zadokova held her mother’s tiny body close. If only she could imprint the feel of her on her skin. She breathed in her scent, a combination of rose water and fried onions. Everything she loved best about her. A light mist dampened them both.

This is another WWII book. I’m not very far into it but it is interesting.
I love all Sarah Sundin’s WWII books! Also loved The Butterfly and the Violin by Kristi Cambron.

MeezCarrie said...

I can't wait to read this book later this week!

Amanda Tero said...

@ Susan - oh wow, that sounds like an interesting read!

@ Paula - I love WWII novels!

@ Carrie - I hope you enjoyed it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...