Monday, August 21, 2017

Scripture Graphics #53


"Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer. From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy. I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings. Selah. For thou, O God, hast heard my vows: thou hast given me the heritage of those that fear thy name." (Psalms 61:1-5)


I know this is praise of God’s creation, but it struck me in a new way—as God’s time. Do I live as though the day and night are mine, to do as I please, instead of doing what pleases God? Just as God fashioned light and dark, He set the clocks in motion. Am I selfishly hoarding time which should ultimately be spent for His glory?


"For he established a testimony in Jacob, and appointed a law in Israel, which he commanded our fathers, that they should make them known to their children: That the generation to come might know them, even the children which should be born; who should arise and declare them to their children: That they might set their hope in God, and not forget the works of God, but keep his commandments: And might not be as their fathers, a stubborn and rebellious generation; a generation that set not their heart aright, and whose spirit was not stedfast with God." Psalm 78:5-8
There is so much in these verses about duties, penalties, warnings, and commands. God has done His part in providing His Word. He handed the responsibility to fathers to teach their children. Every generation of fathers who neglect this responsibility produces a generation of children who do not hope in God, keep His commands, and remember His works; a generation of stubborn and rebellious people who are not righteous and steadfast in God. Yet, just as Israel could turn back to God, so can wicked generations today: "But he, being full of compassion, forgave their iniquity, and destroyed them not: yea, many a time turned he his anger away, and did not stir up all his wrath. For he remembered that they were but flesh; a wind that passeth away, and cometh not again." (Vs 38-39)


This is a good reminder verse--first, a reminder of Who God is; second, a reminder of His delight to give His children good things (note: what He deems good; not always our perception of good).
"Yea, the LORD shall give that which is good; and our land shall yield her increase." Psalm 85:12



What is something that stood out to you in the message yesterday?

3 comments:

Ryana Lynn said...

Something that stood out to me was that God had Salvation's plan in place even before Creation. I "knew" this but it really jumped out at me yesterday.

Sharon K. Connell said...

What stands out to me is this. God does not sleep on his promises. He's there, day and night. No matter when we need Him. Thanks for these wonderful verses.

Amanda Tero said...

@ Ryana - thanks so much for sharing! It is so wonderful when God allows something "new" to stand out to us!

@ Sharon - amen! That is such a blessing to know! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...