Tuesday, August 8, 2017

I Just Might be Getting a New Writing Program...

It’s been a few weeks since I’ve talked about writing, and for good reason. Summer busyness hit in full swing so I had no time to think blogging beyond the usual posts. But, now I’m back home (quick rundown of summer: 3 camps [one of which was in Colorado so took a 13-day trip], full-week revival service, VBS) and things are slightly getting back into schedule.

Writing, though. I’m still getting back into the swing of things. I had hoped to make 10,000 words in July. I kind of fell short of that a few words. ;) But, I did make progress.


I haven’t exactly set a goal for August yet. We started the month off with VBS (which threw three days off schedule, but I’m not one bit complaining as I had too much fun!) and then in just a few days, I’ll be starting back teaching between 25-30 piano/violin students a week. So to put a heavy writing goal on top of that just doesn’t seem the wisest idea to me.

What I have been doing though…


For you writers, you may recognize this: Scrivener! (and yeah, a screen shot from a while back, cause I don't want to give too many spoilers with future chapter break-downs) One of my author friends just recently started trying it out and she kinda talked me into giving it a shot. When I found out that the trial lasts for 30 active days (meaning, if I get on Scrivener today but then don't use it for ten days, it only counts for 2 of my 30-day trial!). So far, I'm really liking it... I just might be sold on it. Giving it a few more trial days first, just cause that's how I operate. ;) One of the amazing things it's helping with is going from first draft of Journey of Choice to the new draft (which, now that I'm in the actual war and battles part, I'm doing a lot of piecing from the first draft into the second draft). If you notice, there's a split screen, so I can view them at the same time! That has been SO nice already! I'm also an organizer (even though I'm not a plotter), so having ALL of my Choice notes in one place is pretty nice.

That's about all I have to update for writing. I'd love to hear from you!
Now that summer is over, are you working on any projects (writing or otherwise)?
Do you have any goals for August?
If you're a writer, have you used Scrivener?

10 comments:

Rebekah said...

Your writing for July looked a bit like mine! My first goal was to get 20k written, then I changed it to 10k, and just after that I cut it down to 7k. I think I did manage to get a little over 8k written, but not by much. ;)
I'm back to teaching writing this month (starting this morning actually), and I have two books written, but not published. One is in the editing stage, and the other needs the proof copy read. I also have other projects like turning my Christmas stories into darling little paperback books. :) I haven't even thought of what writing goal I should do. My mind feels too full with unfinished projects to start on anything else. :) But hopefully I can finish some things and then will be able to write.

Oh, I didn't know Scrivener's free trial was 30 active days! How nice! I got a new book publishing program last month which I'm enjoying, though I haven't really had a lot of time to work with it.

Lori said...

I am not a writer, but I do know how family comes first. Good for you.

Sharon K. Connell said...

Thank you for posting that picture of your progress in Scrivener, even if it wasn't an updated progress. LOL I've heard people talk about Scrivener but have never tried it. I like what I see. Is this a free program, or do you pay for it?

And best wishes on your writing.

Polaris Northstar said...

Scrivener is AMAZING!!! I just got it, and all my siblings and I are totally LOVING IT!!!

Amanda Tero said...

@ Rebekah - I'm happy you were able to have *some* writing time in July, even if not your initial goal. :) I hope you make great progress with completing books this month! What book publishing program did you get?

@ Lori - thanks so much for your encouragement! <3

@ Sharon - you're welcome! You do have to pay for it -- $40 is what I have found as the total (unless you win NaNoWriMo in which you get 50% off). But like I said, you can test it for thirty days to see if it's a fit for you!

@ Polaris - ah, good to hear someone else loves it! :) I'm really enjoying it so far!

Polaris Northstar said...

By the way... if you are just getting started with Scrivener, you should totally check out this webinar by the Scrivener Coach Joseph Michael & Joanna Penn of TheCreativePenn.com

Here is the link to the information and sign-up:

https://productcreationlive.clickfunnels.com/lsf-webinar-registration-215646470?affiliate_id=449727

Joseph Michael's Scrivener webinars are EXTREMELY helpful, and I Highly recommend waching it if you are just starting out with Scrivener (or if you would just like to learn more about what the program can do.

Amanda Tero said...

@ Polaris - thanks so much! I'll try to check it out! :D

Polaris Northstar said...

Your welcome! Oh, and I forgot to say that if you sign-up for it, you will get an email notification when the repay goes up. So you don't necessarily have to watch it when it's live (you just won't be able to ask any questions;). And the replay is usually up for 3-5 days so you can watch at your convenience.

Bekah said...

I've heard of Scrivener and I have looked into it a little bit, but it's really nice to hear that you're liking it. Maybe I'll try it someday down the road. I guess we'll see...

-Bekah

Amanda Tero said...

@ Polaris - thanks for the heads' up! I love it when they have replays!

@ Bekah - I'd heard of Scrivener for at least a year before one of my friends started working on it and she convinced me to try it. ;) The $40 price is a small pill to swallow, but I think it will be worth it in the long run. One of the features I just utilized is copying a URL onto Scrivener and then it saves the ENTIRE web page in the program! That will be super helpful for offline working!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...