Friday, August 18, 2017

First Line Fridays and Review | The Wisdom of God

Happy Friday! I get to feature one of my new favorite books today!! As with other similar books, I didn't go with first line, but a favorite quote.


~*~*~
Also, be sure to hop along to all of these other blogs and see what First Lines they have to share!
Please note that I may not fully endorse all of the books that these bloggers read or the content in these blogs.

Rachel - Bookworm Mama
Andi - Radiant Light
Robin - Robin's Nest
Kathleen - Kathleen Denly
Trisha – Joy of Reading
Jeanette – CJane Read
Iola – Iola Golton
Anna – Cross Romance



My Review
What is wisdom? This book is divided into 23 chapters exploring Biblical wisdom vs. worldly knowledge. It begins with the history of how the Jews perceived wisdom, to how Jesus Christ personified wisdom, to how we are to apply wisdom today.

This was a powerful and convicting read. From all I could tell, it was Biblically accurate, quoted many Scripture verses, and even used some hymns to expound on Biblical truths. There was a strong emphasis on humility, repentance, and salvation.

There are many quotes I appreciated. Here are a few:

"Would the man filled with wisdom and spiritual understanding write cheap poetry? I would certainly hope not!"

"David could sin, but he could also repent." 

"We should not only memorize the Word, which is an excellent thing to do, but also know the difference between truth and error in applying the Word faithfully."

"Obviously there is enticement from sinners. It does not say in Proverbs 1:10, 'If sin entices thee.' It says 'If sinners entice thee.'"

"If that person stands between you and Jesus Christ, that person is not a friend."

*I received this book from Bethany House Publishers and happily provided my honest review*

You may get the book here.

12 comments:

Fiction Aficionado said...

I love A.W. Tozer. Such solid teaching!

I've got the first line from "Chasing Secrets" by Lynette Eason on the blog today, but I've just finished reading "A Rose So Fair" by Myra Johnson, so I'm going to share the first line from that here:

"Now just you hold it right there, mister." Rose Linwood sighted her unwelcome visitor down the length of Grandpa's trusty Winchester.

She's a spunky one!

Unknown said...

This looks like something I need to read..And the wisdom of God is an important topic. Thanks for sharing Amanda!

I'm featuring "Healing Love" by Jennifer Slattery on my blog today, but I'm currently reading "A Name Unknown" by Roseanna M. White.

London
May 1914

Rosemary Gresham may have been a thief, but she was a thief who preferred to work in broad daylight.

Becky said...

I really like reading Tozer's books.
Happy Friday! My first line is from An Alaskan Christmas by Belle Calhoune: “Finn O’Rourke paced back and forth in terminal 27A of the Anchorage airport.”

Amanda Tero said...

@ Fiction - yes, it is great, solid, truth! Every page was just amazing! I think I copied about half the book for quotes. ;) Ooh, Lynette Eason is on my list to read someday (soon?) and I just got my first two Myra Johnson books! I love that first line!

@ Rebecca - I highly recommend it! :) Ooh, I LOVE Roseanna White! And that book was no exception. :)

@ Becky - it had been a while since I'd read one, so I was glad to get my hands on this one. :) A book set in Alaska... sounds like my type! ;)

Paula Shreckhise said...

Heather Munro gazed down Victoria Street so long, she became another gray-suited statue along the Royal Mile.
From The Case of the Clobbered Cad by Debra E. Marvin!

englishmysteriesblog said...

Great author!

Trisha said...

Great line and well said! Have a wonderful weekend!

Unknown said...

Looks like a good book.

Dinh said...

Happy Friday!

My first line is:
“23 July 1955
There was going to be a funeral.” ~ Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz
Happy Reading!
Dinh@Arlene's Book Club

Unknown said...

Great quote!!!

My first line comes from Hold the Light by April McGowan.

"Unremarkable. Amber glanced out the steaming windowpane at the cityscape below her."

Beth Erin said...

Looks like a great read!

Amanda Tero said...

@ Paula - I had thought about reviewing that book, but my list was full at the time. :)

@ English - yes! :)

@ Trisha - thanks!

@ Tima - it was very much so!

@ Dinh - wow, what a first line!

@ Nicole - thanks for sharing the quote!

@ Beth - I enjoyed it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...