Thursday, November 23, 2017

Therefore... give thanks.

Our family has adopted a memo for this year: “This has been THE year.” It seems like life has thrown so very much our way—a lot of hard things, difficult choices, sad days...yet also joy and blessings. On a day like Thanksgiving, we all think, “What can we be thankful for?” Today, I decided to do a quick Bible study about why we should “Give thanks.” I didn’t get past the first verse: “Therefor I will give thanks unto Thee, O Lord, among the heathen, and I will sing praises unto Thy Name.” (2 Samuel 22:50) Of course, I had to see what the “therefore” was there for. For what cause was David giving thanks? Hang on, because this “quick study” took a little time as I read through the chapter and listed out reasons that we ALL can be thankful to God.


- He is my rock, fortress, and deliverer (vs. 2)
- The Lord is my shield, my salvation, my high tower, my refuge, my Savior (vs. 3)
- The Lord hears me in my distress (vs. 7) and moves on my behalf (vs. 8)
- He sends from above, and draws me out of many waters (vs. 7)
- He delivers me from my strong enemy, and that which is too strong for me (vs. 18)
- He is my stay/support (vs. 19)
- He delivers me and delights in me (vs. 20)
- He rewards and recompenses (vs. 21)
- He shows us mercy and uprightness and purity (vs. 26-27)
- He is my light in darkness (vs. 29)
- By Him, we leap over a wall (vs. 30)
- His way is perfect, His Word is tried (vs. 31)
- He is a buckler to all who trust in Him (vs. 31)
- He is God, our rock (vs. 32)
- He is my strength and power; He makes my way perfect (vs. 33)
- He makes my feet like hinds’ feet, sets me on high places (vs. 34)
- He teaches my hands and gives me strength (vs. 35)
- He has given me His shield of salvation (vs. 36)
- His gentleness has makes me great (vs. 36)
- He enlarged His steps so we wouldn’t slip (vs. 37)
- He gives us power over the enemy (vs. 38)
- He gives us strength for battle (vs. 40)
- He delivers us from the striving of people (vs. 44)
- The Lord lives, He is the rock of our salvation (vs. 47)
- He avenges for us (vs. 48)
- He brings us forth and delivers us (vs. 49)
- He is our tower of salvation and shows us mercy (vs. 51)
THEREFORE we can give thanks go Him.
On days like Thanksgiving, we often face things that have been hard for us in the year, and struggle to be thankful around them. Only God knows what each of us are going through, but if you’re struggling to focus your eyes on your blessings, why not take a look into God’s Word and see why we CAN be thankful?

5 comments:

Sharon K. Connell said...

Thank you, Amanda, for those reminders. God bless you and your family.

Ryana Lynn said...

A very timely reminder! Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

Amanda,I am thankful for this lovely blog. It is always so inspiring and interesting. Wishing you and yours a blessed Thanksgiving.
Marilyn

Abi said...

This is such an awesome list and reminder!! ❤️

Amanda Tero said...

@ Sharon - thank you!

@ Ryana - so glad it blessed you. <3

@ Marilyn - aw, thank you so much! That is very encouraging!

@ Abi - thank you. :) It really helped me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...