Tuesday, March 10, 2015

In the Potter's Hand

The Lord occasionally places little reminders in my life: that in His eyes, I am the clay and He is the Potter. Within a week's time, I read Isaiah 64:8, a random blog post on Isaiah 64:8, and heard a sermon on Jeremiah 18 (oh, did I mention that Isaiah 64:8 was a reference my pastor used in that sermon?).


I don't think it was of any coincidence that God formed the first man out of the dust of the earth and then used the analogy of us being but clay, the work of His hand. But sometimes I need that reminder. I must come to the point daily of recognizing that I am the one to be molded, shaped, and changed; that God is the One Who has authority to mold, shape, and change me.

God may decide to use trials to shape me. He may put on a little pressure. He may convict me or correct me. If I am hard, He will have to break me in order to shape me. But if my heart is tender and pliable, it takes only a gentle touch of His hand to create that new and better shape.

Just like forming pottery takes hours and days, God's work in my heart and life is not complete in one small instance. He still shapes and molds throughout the years, perfecting and finishing the work which He has begun ("The Lord will perfect that which concerneth me: thy mercy, O Lord, endureth for ever: forsake not the works of thine own hands." Psalm 138:8). The question I need to ponder is: am I moldable in the Father's hand?


Some verses that benefit to review:
"And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us." (Romans 5:3-5)


"My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing." (James 1:2-4)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...