Saturday, March 7, 2015

Author Interview | Sarah Holman

For the past few months, I've been praying about doing some interviews/guest posts on here. Today, I am excited to have our first interview with stay-at-home author, Sarah Holman.

Me: When did you begin writing/know that you would be an author?
Sarah: Well, I started writing when I was eleven and thought I would always keep it as a hobby. While I had planned since I was in my early teens to be a nurse. However, because of some health challenges I was having, I realized I would not have the energy that I would need to complete nursing school. God showed me that my writing could be my full time writer. So, I followed His lead.

Me: About how much time do you spend writing?
Sarah: I spend about eight hours a day working on my writing in some form or fashion. I write blog posts, manage Homeschooled Authors, as well as write and edit some almost every day. 

Me: When you're not writing, what are some things that you enjoy doing?
Sarah: Reading is number one on my list of things I love. I read about two to three books a week. I also enjoy spending time with my siblings, scrapbooking, sewing, and taking walks in the forest.

Me: What helps inspire you in writing? (reading other books, listening to music, etc.)
Sarah: Movies are normally my biggest inspiration. It is normally a single line or a side plot that I jump on and want to make into a story. I also get a lot of inspiration from real life. Watching people it a bit of a hobby.

Me: Have there been any Scripture verses that God really used to encourage you in your writing journey?
Sarah: Always, but they are different for each book. For instance, while I was writing A Different Kind of Courage, this verse inspired me and drove the story forward. 
This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God. John 3:19-21 NIV
Me: How do you write? Do you usually spend some time plotting and outlining or do you jump right in?
Sarah: I normally come up with an idea and add it to my schedule or file it away for the future. Then, when it comes time to work on a project, I dive right in. It normally takes me only a month to write it and I do very little if any outlining. However, it then takes me about two months to edit, then I send it to my editors, do a final edit, then publish. That is how it works if things go perfectly, but they often don't.

Me: Out of all the books/short stories you have written, what is your favorite? Why?
A Different Kind of CourageSarah: Asking an author to pick a favorite among the stories they wrote is like asking a parent to pick a favorite child. Each book is dear for me for one reason or another. However, if I had to pick one, I would pick A Different Kind of Courage. It was so much fun combining my love of history and writing to create this book.

Me: What would you say to encourage another young, Christian writer?
Sarah: You are going to have people who love your books no matter what you write and you are going to have people who hate your books no matter what you write. Write for the glory of God and for Him alone. When I started writing, my prayer was that for each book, one person would be brought closer to God. I have been blessed to be able to hear some of the stories of how God has used the books, and it has made all the work worthwhile.

And some random questions:
What is your favorite season?
Summer!
If you could go anywhere, where would it be? Why?
England. I have always wanted to visit the museums, visit some people I know there, and see an English castle.
What is your favorite time period?
Currently, it is the American Revolution. Ever since I started writing A Different Kind of Courage, I have come a bit obsessed over the time period. 
What is one dream that you have?
To host a conference for HomeschooledAuthors
What is your favorite Bible verse?
Romans 8:38-39
What is your salvation testimony?
When I was four or five I was watching a Donut Man (a kids singing video) and it talked about salvation. I asked Jesus into my heart at that very young age, and as I have grown, God has matured and nurtured that faith.
Anything else about you or your writing that you'd like to add?
I love staying connected with my readers you can find me at my BlogFacebook, TwitterGoodreads, Pinterest, and also the website I run Homeschooled Authors.


Thanks for joining us, Sarah! Best wishes on your writing - and may God direct your steps!

~*~*~
Note: While I interview different authors on here, I have not read all of their material and cannot personally endorse what I have not read. :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...