Thursday, November 28, 2019

Thankful for... Trials?


This Thanksgiving, as I reflect on the last 12 months and everything that has transpired… I am thankful for trials. I know, that sounds like something delusional and maybe cynical, but hear me out. Our pastor referenced James 1:17 during our special Tuesday night service, and it got me to thinking. 


We often don’t see trials as God’s “good and perfect gifts,” but they are. According to James 1:3, the trying of our faith works patience. And patience builds completeness. I’m not a very emotional person, but I have cried more in the past 365 days than the five years prior to it. Some of it was a result my own stupidity and selfishness, some of it from the choices of others that directly affected me, some of it just life (changes), and some of it unavoidable trials.

I can honestly say, in looking back at the difficulties, heartaches, and worries I’ve lived through this past year, it’s been a good year. It’s been a hard year, but in the trials, I have seen God working in my heart to draw me closer to Him, to help me learn the Scriptures (not just what they say, but how to live them), to strengthen my relationship with my family and friends, and to strengthen me as an individual. I am not the same person I was a year ago, but that is a good thing. Because in these trials God has gifted me with, He has also used to grow me and work in me His beautiful purpose.


3 comments:

Leona said...

This was an encouraging post/article! Thank you for sharing what you have learned through the trials. <3

Anonymous said...

Amanda, thank you for this always interesting and informative blog. Wishing you and yours a blessed happy Thanksgiving.
Marilyn

Amanda Tero said...

@ Leona - you're welcome. Grateful it encouraged you! :)

@ Marilyn - thanks! I hope you had a great Thanksgiving as well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...