Saturday, November 2, 2019

Each Perfect Gift | Book Review

Happy release week to Alicia Ruggieri!



What do you do when the sins of your past rise from the dead? 

Ben Picoletti’s conversion astounded the little town of Chetham, Rhode Island – and no one more than the pastor’s daughter, whose heart Ben seeks to win… despite his shameful history. After all, the cross of Christ has removed Ben’s sins as far as the east is from the west, hasn’t it?

Yet, as Christmas 1937 draws near, Ben’s past returns to trouble him – and to force Ben to grapple with the practical meaning of forgiveness and grace in his own life… and in the lives of those around him.

A story for anyone who has ever been haunted by the consequences of choices they once made, Each Perfect Gift brings a message of the true redemption that is found in Christ alone.

Each Perfect Gift is the first story in the series A LEGACY OF GRACE, an off-shoot of the original A TIME OF GRACE series, featuring beloved Grace Picoletti and Paulie Giorgi. If you crave emotional, old-fashioned stories with strong spiritual heart, a reaffirmation of God's continual work in everyday people's lives and hearts, and memorable characters whose redemption is deep and realistic, you've come to the right place!

Find on Amazon | Add to your Goodreads' Shelf

More from Christian historical fiction author Alicia G. Ruggieri:
  • The Fragrance of Geraniums (A Time of Grace #1)
  • All Our Empty Places (A Time of Grace #2)
  • A Love to Come Home To (A Time of Grace #3)
  • A Holy Passion: A Novel of David Brainerd and Jerusha Edwards

My Review
I absolutely loved continuing the Picoletti/Giorgi families’ stories in this book! Ben was always the character that held my compassion and interest, so I was eager to see a book wholly dedicated to him. I’ll confess, this one took some turns I wasn’t exactly anticipating, but it made for a very good subject that believers should deal with in the reality of their past choices.

When I pick up a book by Alicia, I know that she’s going to have a very solid, Biblical message that gets to the core of the issue. She dealt with some touchy topics in here (recommended for conservative readers 18+), but displayed her characters in both a very real yet very Christian fashion. I absolutely loved that others could see the different in the “old Ben” and “new Ben.” I also really loved Annie’s story. She was a genuine character, even if she was genuinely wrong at times.

The salvation message was very clear and also very realistic—which is something I’m a tad picky on. Just because someone was presented with the truth did not mean they accepted it, and I like that presentation of reality.

Honestly, I didn’t love Betty. To me, she seemed almost stereotypical PK (preacher’s kid)—this is coming from me being a PK myself. I totally understand her temptations to pride and self-righteousness, having been raised in a godly family, but I really couldn’t empathize with her even when I tried. I think my favorite scene with her was when she actually seemed human, during the Christmas play.

All in all, though, this was a good and undeniably Christian read.

*I received this book from the author and happily provided my honest review*

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...