Monday, August 10, 2015

Psalm 119:50-52

Psalm 119:50-52
(50)  This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me.

In any affliction we go through, God's Word is able to quicken us - give us life. If we sense no meaning to life, perhaps we should dig in God's Word: He promises that It is able to quicken (Hebrews 4:12). When we need comfort, do we turn to God's Word?

(51)  The proud have had me greatly in derision: yet have I not declined from thy law.

Others may scoff at our foundation of God's Word - but do we let that affect us? When others make fun of how much time we spend in God's Word, rail on us for not doing things with us because God's Word prohibits it, how do we respond? Do we go to God's Word with renewed passion? or do we let their words influence us? That which we love most (acceptance of men or praise from God) will shape our lives.

(52)  I remembered thy judgments of old, O LORD; and have comforted myself.

Similar to verse 50 ("This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me."), we are to go to God's Word for comfort. It is true that friends can comfort us, but there is no comfort like the Lord Himself and His Words.
"Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God." (2 Corinthians 1:3-4)

"Mine eyes fail for thy word, saying, When wilt thou comfort me?" (Psalm 119:82)

"For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope." (Romans 15:4)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...