Monday, March 7, 2016

Biblically Speaking - The Way of the Wicked

Part 18 in my study on what is abomination in the sight of God.

Recap:

Many believers have fallen into accepting that which is abomination in the sight of God. Unless we study God's Word to learn His Mind on what is abominable, how will we know to purge ourselves from abomination? Lord willing, I will be posting the fruits of my study on the word "abomination," but feel free to leap ahead of me and study it for yourself. What is an abomination to God?



The Way of the Wicked
Proverbs 15:9 - The way of the wicked is an abomination unto the Lord: but he loveth him that followeth after righteousness.

This verse debunks the modern thought that "God loves me how I am." God cannot love us "how we are" if we are living a lifestyle that He loathes, a lifestyle that refuses to acknowledge God's higher ways and His righteousness.

One Justifying the Wicked
Proverbs 17:15 - He that justifieth the wicked, and he that condemneth the just, even they both are abomination to the Lord.


Not only does God loathe those walking wickedly, He also loathes those who justify the wicked. Here is where many Christians are falling today. Am I trying to "soften" the sins of others? Am I trying to make others believe that "God accepts you as you are" when the Bible clearly contradicts that lifestyle (the Bible defines the lifestyle as wicked)? Am I standing on the Word of God firmly, or am I beginning to sway to the world's thinking? Oh Christian, be careful of justifying what God calls abomination!

3 comments:

Hannah Gridley said...

I have been (much too slowly) working my way through Charles Spurgoen's "Treasury of David" (which I highly recommend, especially the original I condensed version), and I was very much struck with his notes on Psalm 1. Modern society would have us believe that "being a good person" is a good thing...but to be "ungodly" is not, by definition, even an unsaved person. It's the person on the church pew who does not submit every thought and act to the will of God. It ties in with this point of yours...

Also it goes back to the verse about "bring every thought into submission."

~Hannah

Olivia said...

I was very convicted of the "justifying the wicked" reverence a couple years ago (and still am!). It is easy to think "well, they are Christians so that is all that matters." Thank you for the reminder to view sin as sin.

Amanda Tero said...

@ Hannah - I haven't read that book by Spurgeon yet, but I do enjoy his works! Thanks so much for sharing how it connected her! I enjoyed reading about it!

@ Olivia - amen and amen! I need the reminder daily!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...