Friday, June 14, 2019

The Number of Love | Book Review


A preface to my review... because it's finally out!!!! I look forward to new books by Roseanna and this one was no exception. This is how bad I wanted it: I pretty much only review books I can get in paperback form (as it seems more worth my time), but this one I caved and got it in eBook. Yeah. I had to read it... and I'm really glad I did!! 


I fell in love with Margot in “A Song Unheard” and was SO happy when I found out she was the MC for this book! Roseanna has done it again—pulling off a riveting novel with a beautiful balance of suspense, faith, and intrigue.

I usually have a hard time writing a well-balance review of Roseanne’s books because I just want to say, “It was so good! Just read it!” I mean, it’s true. There were pieces to the puzzle that I didn’t put together, and I love it when an author can do that to me. I absolutely loved the “villain” and everything connected with him.

I think one thing I liked the best about this one is Margot’s detestation of feelings and romance. Totally a girl after my heart. I loved how she had to journey through the difficulty of an emotional trial yet rejecting the emotions, and having to learn about being a girl with emotions and calling. Yes, totally my girl.



And I just have to take a moment and appreciate the very realistic journey that Drake took along. It’s a pet peeve of mine when a character goes through something challenging and bounces right back. I really did just like Drake all the way around.


I definitely didn’t find the romance as strong in this as in some of Roseanna’s other books (which isn’t an issue with me). There was some sap and a couple of kisses, but romance definitely wasn’t the highlight of everyone’s thoughts.



As for faith content, I found the characters to be very historically accurate. They were Catholic, as was historic their genealogy, so a couple of Catholic rituals were mentioned (namely mass and praying the rosary). The characters were portrayed as those who had genuine faith in God and not in the church; a relationship not mere religion. I don’t agree with the Catholic beliefs of salvation and the Bible, but none of the controversial topics were brought out in this novel. At times, I forgot the characters were supposed to be Catholic, until the rosary or mass were mentioned (and coming from my homestate steeped in Catholicism, it didn’t seem authentic ritualistic religion). Some people would have a problem with this, but honestly, I didn’t find any unBiblical doctrine covered in the book.


My conclusion? Just read it. Be sure to read “A Song Unheard” first (or, just read that entire series—it’s good too), but read this one!

*I received this book from NetGalley and happily provided my honest review*


Purchase your copy on Amazon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank You for this informative review. I enjoy Roseanna White's books. They are refreshing and just what I like in a book.
Marilyn

Amanda Tero said...

@ Marilyn - you're welcome. I agree. Roseanna is an amazing author. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...