Friday, February 26, 2016

God's Smuggler | Book Review

824062Another book I wasn't "required" to read, God's Smuggler has been on my list to read for probably five years. My older sister has had the book for years...and I finally got around to it. Why did I wait so long?!

About the Book
As a boy he dreamed of being a spy undercover behind enemy lines. As a man he found himself undercover for God. Brother Andrew was his name and for decades his life story, recounted in God's Smuggler, has awed and inspired millions. The bestseller tells of the young Dutch factory worker's incredible efforts to transport Bibles across closed borders-and the miraculous ways in which God provided for him every step of the way. Revell and Chosen now reintroduce this powerful story with two new releases: a 35th anniversary edition and The Narrow Road, an expanded youth edition. Both contain a new foreword and afterword. The youth edition also features information about ministry to the persecuted church today, including country profiles, quotes from Christians in underground churches, "what if" scenarios based on real-life threats they face, and stories from others who have participated in Brother Andrew's Bible-smuggling work. Brother Andrew's story remains as inspiring today as it was thirty-five years ago, and with these new releases it will motivate a whole new generation to risk everything to follow God's call.

My Review
Wow! This is an amazing book! There are really no words to describe it other than Brother Andrew simply living in obedience to God. But how encouraging and faith-building it is to follow years of his ministry! Some people think of doing grand things for Christ, but often, Brother Andrew was just THERE...giving hope to the persecuted Christians that there is someone else in the body praying for them. Reading this book will raise your awareness of persecuted Christians and the struggles they face. It is not graphic at all (not even close to "Tortured for Christ"), but shows the seriousness and struggles of believers in closed countries.

A quote that really stood out to me;
"You can't use strong-arm tactics against the Church without strengthening it. It's always been that way. Under persecution a man looks to his faith to see if it's worth fighting for, and this is a scrutiny Christianity can always withstand. The real danger comes with an indirect attack, where a person is lured away from the Church before he has a chance to become strong."

Buy on Amazon: God's Smuggler

5 comments:

Olivia said...

Definitely a favorite of mine. Brother Andrew inspires me every time!

Salinn said...

Thanks for sharing this review! This is one that I'm hoping to read sometime and I always like having heard a review before I spend money on a book. I bought a book once only to find that it was not fit to read and lost a lot of money because I didn't even want to sell it to someone else.:(

Amanda Tero said...

@ Olivia - completely agree!

@ Salinn - I definitely put my recommendation for this book! I try to look up others' reviews before I agree to read a book or buy a book; it's worth it. :)

Salinn said...

Have you ever read Children of The Storm: The autobiography Natasha Vins?

Amanda Tero said...

@ Salinn - no, haven't heard of that one. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...