Friday, August 25, 2017

First Line Fridays, Review | Beneath Copper Falls

This Friday, I'm featuring a suspense novel. I think I've figured out that I'm not as much for suspense as I thought I was. I just don't care for dwelling on that which is dark--on the sick cruelty of humanity when separated from God. Yeah... have any of you read this book? Did you like it?


~*~*~
Also, be sure to hop along to all of these other blogs and see what First Lines they have to share!
Please note that I may not fully endorse all of the books that these bloggers read or the content in these blogs.

Rachel - Bookworm Mama
Andi - Radiant Light
Robin - Robin's Nest
Kathleen - Kathleen Denly
Trisha – Joy of Reading
Jeanette – CJane Read
Iola – Iola Golton

My Review
I'll be honest up front: this is probably the hardest book review I've had to write. As far as writing style and ability, I admire Coble. Her writing style is enjoyable and well-rounded.


Content... since I'm given permission for my honest review, that is what I'll stick with. I know other readers who enjoy suspense may like this book, but it was not for me. So, for you readers who are debating whether or not to read this book, here are my thoughts.



The back cover did not shed light about how dark the content would be. There was no mention of a serial killer (much less one who drowned women), which may have better prepared me for the contents. It's not just that it was a serial killer, but how closely connected the characters were to people who were being killed. And... who the serial killer was. I figured it out about halfway and continued in horror of, "Please be wrong." (I wasn't wrong)



For me, it was too dark without a good balance of light. God was mentioned, as was prayer, but it was more of, "I'll pray for you" and "God has His good will for your life." I found it to be somewhat shallow, and the characters in their everyday lives didn't think much about God.



Another aspect I didn't care for was the romance. I could have read it wrong, but it appeared that one couple lived together before marriage (which is Biblically wrong to do). The romance was more surface-centered and a few things took place that made me cringe (mentions of going too far, being too close, that type of thing).



So, coming from a conservative Christian viewpoint, this is not the type of book I'd like to read again.



*I received this book from Book Look Bloggers and happily provided my honest review*

9 comments:

Fiction Aficionado said...

I haven't read this one.

I've got the first line from "Will Not See" by Chautona Havig over on my blog today. Since it's the second book in the 'Sight Unseen' series, I thought I would share the first line (or two) from the first book in the series, "None So Blind", here:

"Her arm stretched out from beneath the covers. Later, she would admit that in that moment her world changed irrevocably."

Have a great weekend!

Caryl Kane said...

I LOVE mystery/suspense and Colleen Coble! I've not read this series.

Huge hands ripped at Cole Sanders' shirt and yanked him away from Audrey Vaughn's embrace. Tackling the Fields by Janet Ferguson

Have a wonderful weekend!

Unknown said...

I haven't read this yet, but I do have a copy that I received to review. After reading "Because You're Mine", I'm a little skeptical to attempt this one. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I'm featuring "A Name Unknown" by Roseanna M. White on the blog today, but the closest book I have to me right now is "The Writing Desk" by Rachel Hauck.

"This should by night of triumph. To be queen of her world. An acclaimed, best-selling, award-winning author with the literati bowing at her feet."

Becky said...

Happy Friday! My first line is from Destitutio by Brett Armstrong, which I am excited to start reading:
“The grisly, grey swirls churned up before Marcus, a thin mask to the merciless heat.”

Jewels said...

That is SO my thoughts as far as reading dark books!! It is very nice to find other people who feel the same way. I am always hesitant about buying books because of that reason; I have had multiple instances where I regretted a book purchase or a choice of movie because it was darker than I thought it would be (or because there was a stronger romance thread than I expected). Honestly, sometimes I have wondered if I'm the weird one. Am I the one that is just too up-tight about darkness? There IS darkness in the world. Plenty of it. Am I trying to shut myself off from reality? Yet I just don't like to fill my mind with that kind of stuff. It gives me such a sick and gross feeling! Thank you for having the courage to share honest reviews. It is difficult to give an author a negative on their book :(
Now, here is the first line of a book closest to me: "He rode into the dark of the woods and dismounted. He crawled upward on his belly over cool rocks out into the sunlight, and suddenly he was in the open and he could see for miles, and there was the whole vast army below him, filling the valley like a smoking river." This if from 'The Killer Angels: A novel of the Civil War' by Michael Shaara. I haven't read it yet, but it is scheduled for my next school year.
I hope you have a great day! (And sorry for such a long comment; I tend to think I'm writing e-mails when I comment on blogs :D)

Amanda Tero said...

@ Fiction - I saw the first line on your blog--both very gripping because I know the storyline somewhat.

@ Caryl - I'll give Colleen Coble another try; this one was just a little too dark for me.

@ Rebecca - you're welcome! I think I'll try Colleen Coble one more time. Then if she's too dark for me, she's just too dark. :)

@ Becky - I like that descriptive first line!

@ Jewels - haha! No, you're not the only one who has more strict reading habits. Yes, darkness is a part of real life, but Ephesians 5 warns us not to talk of those things done in secret. I'm not sure where all the line is drawn, but for me, dwelling on darkness and turmoil is over the line for me. Like you, I try to "research" my book a little before I read it (with review books, it's a little harder, because they're new and not many reviews are out). It's funny... with the first sentence, I wondered if it was a Civil War book. ;) You'll have to let me know how it is when you read it! And no problem on the length. ;) I just give as good as I take. ;)

Trisha said...

Thank you for sharing your honest opinion. I too am a little hesitant to read murder mystery. I too have noticed in a few books that are marketed as Christian, only have a brief mention of God, prayer, or church attendance. I like to see more of a personal relationship, not just a passing thought, or brief mention.
My first line this week is from Vow Unbroken by Caryl McAdoo
"He took the pinch of cotton Sue offered and rubbed it between his short, pudgy fingers."

Unknown said...

I struggle with novels, movies, tv shows, etc., that focus on so much darkness. I'm too sensitive and tend not to read this type of fiction. They give me bad nightmares. I appreciate your review!

I'm currently in the middle of reading Rule of Law by Randy Singer. It's not typically a genre (military/legal) I read, but it's so engaging. Here's the first line:

"They descended like vultures from the C-17 transport plane, silhouettes against a quarter moon in a tar-black sky."

Amanda Tero said...

@ Trisha - you put it in very nice words--a personal relationship and not just passing thought. So many "Christian" books have God as just a passing thought. :/

@ Nicole - glad my review was helpful! Military/legal reads can be interesting! I've not read many of them. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...