Thursday, February 23, 2012

Thoughtful Thursday - The Ministry of Letter Writing


The Ministry of Letter Writing
Previously posted on Rubies Like Ruth (August 2011)

Letter writing is an old art that is still continued by a select few young ladies. Girls write (or email) for amusement, to keep up friendships, for communication, and to get a reply. All of these are fun reasons to write, but I like to think of writing as a ministry as well. We see a vivid example of ministering by letters in the New Testament. Paul wrote many letters to different churches and men, challenging them in their walk with God and sharing truth.

Our notes can bring a smile to one’s face and brighten their day. A word of encouragement can help a sister in her walk with God. A question can challenge one to stay faithful. Most importantly, a letter can simply show the love of Christ.

In my love for letter-writing, God has shown me a few ways that I can minister with letters:
     1. Pray that God will give me some way to encourage my pen-pal
     2. Write not just to those who are “fun” to write to, but those who will need the encouragement
     3. Pray for the person to whom I am writing
     4. Include a verse with which God has been challenging me
     5. Humbly share an area in which God has been growing me
     6. Ask them about a specific area of their walk with God (prayer, Bible reading, memorizing)
     7. Ask if there is a specific area that I can pray for them

There are many ways we can minister to a friend in letters – sometimes we simply need to ask God to show us what He would have us to do and be tender towards His leading.

The next time you go to write a letter or type an email, let me challenge you to make it worthwhile. Do not just “chat,” but leave your friend with something that ministers to her heart.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...