Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Unyielding Hope | Book Review



About the Book
As a young girl, Lillian Walsh lost both her parents and a younger sister. Now in her twenties, after enduring the death of her adoptive mother, Lillian must find her place in the world. Just as her adoptive father is leaving for an extended trip to his native Wales, a lawyer appears at the door to inform Lillian that she has inherited a small estate from her birth parents--and that the sister she had long believed dead is likely alive.

When she discovers that her sister, Grace, is living in a city not far away, Lillian rushes to a reunion, fearful that the years of separation will make it hard to reconnect.


My Review

I know when I pick up a Janette Oke book that I will get a story that is clean and has a solid, Biblical lesson. “Unyielding Hope” is no different. It is the story of two sisters, orphaned and separated at a young age, their discovery of each other, and how they work together to make a patchwork family with other orphans.

This is one of those “settle into a comfy chair and read” books. It’s not especially plot or character driven. It’s more the sweet story covering the lives of a few characters.

I loved the realistic picture that the authors painted with orphans and foster children, their easily-shattered worlds, and their long road to piecing together their own lives.

There were hints at romance in this, but it seemed to set up more for a more in depth romance for book two. It was sweet.

Like I said, there was a solid, Biblical message in this book. I didn’t find it to be quite as prevalent on the pages as her “Return to the Canadian West” series, for instance, but it was still a story that revolved around Christ and His work in people’s lives.

I loved this quote:
“Often it’s in the timing of things where I see God’s hand most easily.”

*I received this book from NetGalley and provided my honest review*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the review. Wishing you and yours a Blessed Easter.
Marilyn

Amanda Tero said...

Thanks for your comment, Marilyn! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...