Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Retellings: Camille and The Fairyless Tales

Today I'd like to welcome Camille to the blog. As with the other retelling authors, you can find out more about her book in this post--but you can find out even more because she's having an eBook sale right now for the book we're featuring today!

Meet Camille...
Camille was raised on a family farmstead, where she milked goats and daydreamed of becoming an author. At seventeen she began writing her first novel, and has kept writing ever since. She now juggles writing, raising a family, and (still) milking goats.


Camille's Retelling...


Kissing an apparently dead maiden was not what young king Gervaise had planned for the day. Nor was nursing her back to health and acting as her impromptu protector. Forced to face and counter danger for the first time in his life, Gervaise realizes he lacks the heroism he ought to have.

As the real source of the threat against his patient comes to light, the king-turned-doctor finds himself in the sole position to thwart an ambitious new ruler. But how can he save a kingdom that doesn’t believe it needs saving? And how can a coward such as he win the day with only a handful of men?

Find on Amazon

A note from Camille...
I well remember the first time I saw Ever After. When my mom and sisters decided to watch the Cinderella retelling, I politely declined. Ugh. Romance. Who needs more of that?

“But she climbs a tree in her underwear,” they protested. “You’d like it.”

I caved. I watched it. I loved it.

Kinda on the thin line between historical fiction and historical fantasy, some humor, some adventure, and a romance that wasn’t the sole focus of the story—that was my first taste of fairy tale retellings.
And that is the model I chose for my own venture in the realm of fairy tales. As I got ready to write Doctor and King, I asked myself this question: What real-life events could have inspired the story of Sleeping Beauty?

Then I added another question: How would the story look told from the prince’s perspective?
The result is the rather quirky tale of Gervaise and his struggle to understand true courage.

1 comment:

Dora William said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...