Monday, July 29, 2019

28 Days!



Have you read any of the “original” Robin Hood stories? I had to read at least one, and I settled on Howard Pyle’s

// REVIEW // 
My review is a bit torn between two. Robin Hood in this retelling was nothing but a rogue and restless fellow. There was no King Richard for whom he was fighting behind the sheriff’s back. Instead, he was just at odds with the sheriff and the sheriff could not overcome him or his men. So, there really wasn’t much noble in Robin’s character here. That, I really couldn’t admire.     

On the flip side, the humor in this was hysterical. I had several laughing aloud moments. I can appreciate good wit, and the merry men surely had it. Of course, as with any wit, it did go too far at times.     

There was a heavy theme of drinking throughout the pages. The only form of Christianity would be the priests who cares more for their purse than their parishes (which was to be a revealing of hypocrisy). There was next to no romance (sorry, no maid Marion in this book, besides her name being mentioned once). It’s possible that the songs they sung could have had some questionable content, but I’ll be honest and confess that I skipped over the poetry, so I don’t know what they contain.    

A good way to think of this book is as a collection of short tales of Robin Hood, as the flow wasn’t exactly novel-type.      

The adventures were a mix of fun and some with which I could not approve (they just lacked the integrity and nobility that I have seen in Robin in other retellings). I could revisit some of the stories and cannot say I wish I hadn’t read it.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...