Saturday, March 28, 2020

Waiting for What "Foundation?" | From the Archives



There are many “buts” in our life. The “buts” are generally . . . excuses. “I would do this, but . . .”

The other day, I found a very interesting “but” in God’s Word. 
From the first day of the seventh month began they (Israel) to offer burnt offerings unto the LORD. But the foundation of the temple of the LORD was not yet laid. (Ezra 3:6)

Israel was coming from the pagan enemy’s land to rebuild the temple by decree of King Cyrus (see Ezra 1:1-3). Almost immediately when they returned to Jerusalem, the city of the temple, they began sacrificing to God. 

Nothing hindered their service to the one true God. Not even the fact that the temple was not prepared or ready!

As I read this captivating story of Israel’s return to God, I began to realize that there are many “foundations” I am placing as prerequisites for my service to God. Things that in my eyes make sense, but in reality are a just an excuse for my disobedience to God’s gentle prodding. 

It can be as easy as, “Lord, if you answer this prayer, then I will . . .” or, “Yes, Lord, I see that I should do this, but I must wait until tomorrow.” or as far-sighted as, “Lord, I’ll do this, but it makes sense to be married first.” 

When we feel God’s leading, we do not need the “foundation of the temple” to be set in order before we begin. We can begin as soon as He tells us.

What “foundation” are you waiting for before giving your life, your possessions, and your time to God?


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...